Sunday, April 28, 2013

In Case of Emergency

The year that my husband and I got married, over ten other couples - close friends - got married. It was so much fun! All of us planned our weddings together, shared decorations, and made sure our weddings were as unique as we were. A couple of months after the wedding celebrations settled down and we were now managing life as married adults. You know - nice apartments, not bachelor pads or a house full of girls. Opening gifts, pouring over the beautiful photos, buying cars or even houses, sending out thank you cards for all of the fantastic gifts, buying furniture, decorating our own homes, inviting our fellow newlyweds over. It was a blast!

Until a lovely fall day when we got word that the apartment of one of the new brides had burned to the ground. Everything she & her new husband owned was gone. All of the brand new furniture, the piles of wedding gifts, clothes, a lifetime of photos and mementos were gone in an instant. The couple was at work when their neighbor's unit caught fire, but there was nothing they could do when their home was destroyed as a result. Then things got worse when they found out that their insurance wouldn't cover even half of what it would cost to replace everything. Important personal documents and identification were destroyed. Something like this is always a tragedy, but for newlyweds who barely have their feet on the ground, it was even more so. 


How do you prepare for something like that? It is certainly not something that you want to think about, but it is a reality. Fire, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes. They all happen. But the truth is… We don't expect them to happen to us. I didn't think it could happen to me! But there it was - my dear friend lost everything in a fire. I realized that if something similar would happen to my husband & I, we would be sunk. 

So what do you do? How do you prepare for the worst?

I will be honest… I don't totally know. It seems like one of those things that you never know until it happens. And of course, it is one thing to get be prepared and it is another thing to stay prepared over the years. More than anything… it is a lot of work. 

So here is my thought… Take one step at a time.  Start now, as you freshly married. Don't wait until everything is put away and accumulated. 

Over the next couple of weeks, I will be working on some posts for preparing in case of an emergency. It is a personal project that I am working on in my own life. But I have to mention this... Invest in a home inventory software. Sure you can totally do it via Excel or Numbers, but trust me it is so much easier to just use the software! 

I had been using excel to keep track all of my possessions. It was a nightmare! There was so much information that needed recorded. Then one day I was just checking out some apps for my mac and I discovered this wonderful software by Binary called "Home Inventory" (similar products are available for windows). It has made a world of difference! What took me days to do before, took me a few hours today with the program. 

So step one: Inventory your home before you get so many years down the road that this task becomes impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment