Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hello World


I just want you all to know, that my name is Kay. Not just "Mr. Wonderful's wife." Not "the youth pastor's wife" or the "new girl." I don't mind being called those things, but do you know my name?

Do you know what I enjoy doing? Do you know what I think about? Do you know anything about me, other than my husband's job description?

Growing up I had a very healthy knowledge of the well-known ministry "Fish Bowl." As a staff kid, I all but lived in it. The boundaries were there and I was happy to live in them. When you have an awesome church as I did, it was no big deal to be in the fish bowl. 


When I became the youth pastor's wife at a different church in a small town in a different part of the country, suddenly it was a whole new fish bowl... and I do not like it. 

Do you ever feel like that?

That people are polite and kind on the outside, but want nothing to do with you because you are a pastor's wife? Suddenly the dynamics of every conversation change when people find out that I am a pastor's wife. 

Please understand. I love this job. I love the calling that God has placed on my husband's life and the calling that has brought me to love it as well. 

But I also want people to know that I'm human too. I want to get to know the ladies at the church. I want to be a person too. I just want someone to want to spend time with me. Maybe go shopping with me or out to lunch or chit-chat about devotions or interests. Not just comment on the fact that I better be at some ministry event, or that I am expected to do something or run/start some ministry, or be expected to pass 16 messages on to my husband.

Hello world, my name is Kay Christian, and I am a person too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment