Saturday, March 2, 2013

Healthy Eating, Hard Choices

Let's play a game. Plate of steamed broccoli vs. Plate of Delicious, warm chocolate chip cookies

Which would you choose? 



In the midst of my current weight loss life, this has suddenly become a really hard choice. If I wasn't concerned about tomorrow's weigh in, this wouldn't even be a blog post. I would be happily wolfing down a plate of warm, delicious chocolate chip cookies without a care in the world. And what a happy day it would be! 

Now here's the hard part, I am on that diet. I do happen to love broccoli.... Probably not as much as I love cookies, but I like broccoli. I know that it is good for me and it is the smart logical choice. The right choice... The hard choice.... I think in the end I would succumb to the cookies. Maybe not the whole plate, just a few. (Let's be honest, anyone who knows me, knows I am going for those cookies.)

Now lets play the same game with your two year old....

Which plate is your child going to choose?

It's ok to smile. We both know that kid wants the cookies. You probably knew that before your child chose.

Regardless of consequences, the overwhelming majority of us would probably choose the cookies and the person who offered us the choice probably knew too. Just like you knew what your kid would do.

Hmmm....

I've been offered a choice. The person who offered me the choice knew my answer before he even asked. I can consider the consequences for a lifetime or a moment. Chances are I am doing a head dive into those cookies. So why bother even offering? 

Because that someone loves me.

(It all boils down to love.)

God loves me.

He offered me a choice.

The pleasure of the world now or an eternity with Him.

He knew what I would choose before He offered it.
He knew what you would choose before He offered it.
He wants me to make the right choice because I want to. Not because I have to, not because I have no other choice, but because He loves me enough to let me make the choice on my own.
He knows what I am going to chose.

What have you chosen? Have you chosen a taste of the world, but now must bear the consequences for an eternity? Have you chosen to think long term and selected the healthy choice with eternal joy?

It may simple, but its the reality. You choose.

It is my prayer that you have chosen to spend eternity with Christ, now you are faced with a daily choice. Feed on a diet of Christ or feed on a diet of junk. The choice is still yours. God loves you, but I caution you to choose wisely.

~Deuteronomy 30:19-20~
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment