Sunday, June 2, 2013

Becoming Abraham

Sometimes when you are reading the Bible, you come across these stories that seem to parallel your life. At least, that happens to me... a lot. Especially when I read about Abraham.

Lately life has seemed a lot like Abraham, as I have picked up my tent and moved more times than I care to in the last two years. As God has called my husband and I to follow Him. To where though? We have no idea! We just pick up and follow as He calls us to!

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God has pulled us away from the comfortable and content life near family and friends to a place that seemed like a foreign land with no comfort, no friends, and no spiritual encouragement.

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God has (up to this point) withheld certain things that we desire.

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God has blessed us even when we relied on our own abilities instead of relying on His strength.

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God has asked us to sacrifice many things that we hold dear.

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God has shown Himself so clearly to us in the desert moments of life.

Life is a lot like Abraham, as God abundantly rewards obedience (although I must say, He has not blessed us financially in the way that He blessed Abraham!!).

Needless to say, I feel a lot like Abraham these days, but it makes me all the more grateful for the Bible! God gave us the story of Abraham's life so plainly.

We see his faith, his failures, his triumphs,  his struggles. Over and over, we see God's hand, His blessings, His testing, His blessing, His forgiveness, His guidance.

I can learn from Abraham's life. My relationship with God can grow because I can see that God moves. Because Abraham had faith, I too can have faith.

Who in the Bible does your life parallel?

Is it Moses? A great leader possessing an obvious relationship with the Lord, but lacking support or encouragement from those close to you. Is it Hannah? A loving wife plagued by the mocking of women around here and empty arms. Is it David? A guy who had high highs and low lows. Daniel? Alone in your stand for Christ.

I don't know who your life parallels these days, but lately I think I am becoming Abraham.

No comments:

Post a Comment