Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Women in the Workforce

I just recently started doing something that I have never really done before - I started working a secular job. If you are familiar with church lingo, you know that that means that I am now working a non-church-centered job.

Up until now for my entire life, I have worked in the church building. And I totally loved it! But recently I was simply filling in as a church secretary for a person who took medical leave. That time had expired and I was jobless again.

Reality is my husband's job could support us so that I didn't have to work, but that meant that we couldn't have even the most basic internet. Working even a few hours a week (for me) meant that we could open up some funds to save money, maybe eat out every once in a while, and not stress about grocery shopping. All of the above were a welcome blessing for us!

But when I found myself jobless, we had a crossroads decision to make. Do I go back to being a housewife with a really strict budget or do I work a secular job part-time to fill my time and give us some desired flexibility?

We decided that I would go to work. I was so nervous and not even sure what I wanted to do. So I just filled out a bunch of applications for stores that I could at least support their product (office supplies, cards & gifts, and prayed that God would direct me to the right job. I got hired on the spot by a high end ladies' clothing store. It is the type of store where the clothes are modest. I wouldn't wear everything because of my personal standards or preferences but the clothing is appropriate. Its the type of store that I would not hesitate to recommend to my church family or be embarrassed to tell an unsaved person that I as a Christian work there.

So that is my little story. Now on to the blog - is it ok for me as a Christian wife to work in the secular workforce?

This is definitely a question that every individual family needs to decide for themselves. I don't think there is a pat across the board type of answer. There is a lot of pressure for Christian wives to stay at home and be that perfect at-home housewife who makes her own soap, fresh bread daily, spend hours in God's Word, and can turn any stray article into a beautiful work of art. I truly believe that not everyone is going to fit that mold.

(My husband gets annoyed when I am not working because I get stir-crazy: the tiny apartment is majorly spotless, every meal is a three course meal, and I am ready to run out and see the world when he just wants to sit on the couch and relax for a little while. In other words, I don't fit the mold.)

For those of us who don't fit the mold, we can still be godly wives - even if we don't do things just so.

Things to Consider 

  1. Family: If you decided to work twenty or forty hours, would you still be able to care for your family? Plan on it not being the same schedule or as convenient of a schedule if you worked. But if your family & home would be totally neglected, you may want to reconsider working. 
  2. Income: Can you live reasonably on one income? If your reasonable, necessary bills each month are higher than your husband's single income and you cannot cut anymore fat from the budget, it might be time to consider a second income. Are you trying to save money for a down payment on a home? or because your car desperately needs replaced? or because you want to start a family but need to build up emergency savings? If you are considering working to save money for a fancy vacation or upgrade the slightly dated car, you may want to reconsider working.
  3. Spiritual Life: Does this new job interfere with your spiritual life? Are you going to miss an unhealthy number of church services? Will you no longer have time for your personal devotions? How will the things that you are exposed to effect your mind? Will you be required to handle, sell, or support things that you cannot support morally or that violate Biblical principles? 
There is strong case to be made for Christian women in the workforce. If you are one of these hard-working women, keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment