Monday, February 4, 2013

Confessions of a Northerner (in the South)

So it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the North and the South are very different. When I lived on the West Coast for a very short period of time, I never had people comment on the fact that I was from the East Coast and I never struggled to fit in there. I always thought that we all live in the United States of America, and we may have been raised differently.... but we are from the same country after all.

But I have to tell you, growing up in Big City, Northeast, and moving to Small Town, South has been a shocker to the system. It has been total culture shock!

Here are some of the wild & crazy things that I have noticed about the South. Not that they are bad; they have just been total shockers to me.

1. Fried Food 
Wow! Everything they eat down here is fried! I didn't even know it was possible. Back in the North, we try to figure out how to make all of the traditional fried foods taste amazing without being fried. And here in the South, they actually try to fry everything! It's amazing. Fried chicken, fried chicken, fried chicken. Fried appetizers - mozzarella sticks, onion rings, french fries, pickles, and okra. Fried desserts - twinkies, oreos, doughnuts, and ice cream. I've even heard of fried pizza.

Ick!! I really, really don't like fried food as a general rule. An occasional meal at Chick-fil-a. A once-a-year appetizer at the Cheesecake Factory of fried zucchini with their amazing ranch dressing. (There are a few reasons that was a once-a-year treat!) Everything else is baked. Like I even bake my own egg rolls, so I don't have to have greasy ones whenever I make a non-greasy homemade Chinese meal.

Would you guess what I have eaten a lot of since I moved to Small Town, South? Fried chicken, fried chicken, friend chicken. Do you know what people are constantly encouraging me to try? Fried pickles, fried okra, and fried oreos.

The thought of all that the grease makes me want to go take a shower and spend thirty minutes working out...

2. Food
Speaking of fried food, does everything revolve around food? I mean, I love food as much, if not more, than the next person, but why does every activity or event have gobs of food at it? Like, why can't we just fellowship for the joy of fellowshipping? Do we really need those doughnuts? The fried chicken has got to stop. I really can't take anymore of the fried chicken... It's no wonder I'm on a diet. Thank you, South!

On top of that, every single restaurant here has a buffet.

I don't like buffets.

Do you know how many people have touched at serving utensil? When exactly was it last cleaned? How many hours ago was this food prepared? 

I didn't even know that KFC had buffets, and I thought Pizza Hut did away with theirs in the 90s. Every time we happen to be out with someone, I want to ask if they mind if I order a meal instead of the buffet. (I'm making faces at the computer right now, just at the thought of the buffet.)

3. Walmart
Remember Big City, Northeast? 100,000 people live in a five mile radius with one Walmart? Yeah... Well, I think there are like 20,000 people in a 30 mile radius and I have never been to a busier Walmart in all of my life. (With the exception of Black Thursday Night & Friday) There are always tons of people there.

Some of the teenagers said it was because it was the only place to hang out, and adults said it was because it is one of three places to do grocery shopping, but seriously people... Walmart has great prices but it's not that cool!

There are always lines at the four registers that are open (and yes, they do have the standard 25 registers for absolutely no reason since they are never open!). Some items are always sold out or picked through. There are always carts totally blocking entire aisles so you have to wait until it clears out to go down the aisle. Between the crazies and the extreme couponers who block the aisles, I have decided to not go to Walmart before 9 PM. The later, the better.

4. No Chinese Takeout
Chinese takeout was not something that my husband and I did frequently, but it was a nice convenience. They seem to be always open and if you find a good one, it's usually worth getting in a pinch. One night my husband and I worked super late at Small Town Baptist Church. There was no way that I was going to make dinner that night. So we called a friend and asked if they knew of any good Chinese takeout.

They actually asked what that was.

Then I called a Chinese restaurant that we pass on the way home. They looked at us cock-eyed too. (I could here it over the phone!) We finally persuaded them that it was putting a prepared meal (versus buffet) in a box and me eating it at home, not in the restaurant.

Oh, what an experience!

5. Country Music & Cowboy Boots
I don't have much to say about either of these items other than they seem to be epidemic. Some of those boots really are cute, but I just can't picture them on my feet.


Really expensive boots from Country Outfitters


Check back sometime and I am sure that by then I will have posted some other culture shock-type items. :)

~Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment