Saturday, February 16, 2013

Confessions of a Teacher

In a former life, I was a school teacher. (Like a couple of years ago...not reincarnation.) Young, new, and eager. I had the normal love/hate relationship with teaching. Anyone who knew me or worked with me would tell you that I was stretched too far, hence the "hate" part of the equation. Teaching was far more of a "love."


I was passionate about my subjects and imparting a world of knowledge to my students, who eventually became eager too. My lesson plans were rich and teeming with exciting supplemental material, and I was always on the look out for new ways to present the lessons - especially in the form of books with pictures or illustrations. Hey, high school students dig the pictures as much as the elementary students!

Then one day, I found myself in the world outside of the classroom. A boring world, totally deprived of happy students, chalkboards, and summer breaks.

It was... liberating?... to not go to school for the first time in twenty years. For the first few weeks! Then to deal with the emotion, I packed up all of my school stuff - now useless junk and put it in dark, shadowy corner of my spare room.

All was well until my husband and I decided we were settled enough to have overnight guests. Translation: time to make the spare room liveable for either us or the guests.

Translation: I have to face my school stuff again.

We were hoping to sell some of the "junk" in order to purchase a nice used bed frame. And clear out space for a bed by getting rid of some stuff. Almost all of our furniture comes from a great yard sale or old storage unit.

Well, that plan has been derailed.

I can't part with my beautiful picture books, old textbooks, and teacher-stuff.

The reality is, it might be junk. But I literally dream about teaching again.

~Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment